In 2011, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals behaved in a regrettably consistent manner: It euthanized the overwhelming majority (PDF) of dogs and cats that it accepted into its shelters. Out of 760 dogs impounded, they killed 713, arranged for 19 to be adopted, and farmed out 36 to other shelters (not necessarily “no kill” ones). As for cats, they impounded 1,211, euthanized 1,198, transferred eight, and found homes for a grand total of five. PETA also took in 58 other companion animals — including rabbits. It killed 54 of them.
These figures don’t reflect well on an organization dedicated to the cause of animal rights. Even acknowledging that PETA sterilized over 10,500 dogs and cats and returned them to their owners, it doesn’t change the fact that its adoption rate in 2011 was 2.5 percent for dogs and 0.4 for cats. Even acknowleding that PETA never turns an animal away — “the sick, the scarred and broken, the elderly, the aggressive and unsocialized…” — doesn’t change the fact that Virginia animal shelters as a whole had a much lower kill rate of 44 percent. And even acknowledging that PETA is often the first to rescue pets when heat waves and hurricanes hit, that doesn’t change the fact that, at one of its shelters, it kills 84 percent of supposedly “unadoptable” animals within 24 hours of their arrival.
When I contacted PETA for a comment on these numbers, Amanda Schinke, a spokesperson for the organization, sent a thoughtful and detailed response. In it she explained how “euthanasia is a product of love for animals who have no one to love them.” She called their killing a “tragic reality,” one that forthrightly acknowledges how “sometimes [animals] need the comfort of being put out of their misery — a painless release from a world in which they were abused and unwanted.” Noting that PETA, unlike many “no-kill” shelters, turns no animal away, Schinke added, “we do everything in our power to help these animals.” The harsh reality behind the grim numbers, she noted, should never be forgotten: “Millions of homeless animals are euthanized in animal shelters and veterinary offices across America because of simple math: too many animals and not enough suitable homes.”
But is this really a simple math problem?
[Image: Bogdan Cristel/Shutterstock]
Why PETA sucks.
PETA can suck a bag of dicks.
Don’t forget the time PETA employees came to rural North Carolina offering to take adoptable animals to their shelter in VA rather than let them be euthanized with the gas chamber method that a lot of poor rural shelters use.
Oh, but instead of taking them to be adopted the PETA employees euthanized the pets by injection in THE BACK OF THEIR VAN AND THEN DUMPED THE BODIES IN THE DUMPSTER OF A PIGGLY WIGGLY.
PETA paid for their lawyers and got them off of all charges except for “illegal dumping”. Their main argument was that the animals were their property and they could do what they liked with them…which is the exact opposite of PETA’s public image.
PETA: for hypocritical assholes.
- arab69indian likes this
- dementage reblogged this from archangejolras
- helenmarieb likes this
- pandalollipop likes this
- ohsokay reblogged this from archangejolras
- pickupyourlaces reblogged this from whirlwind-dreamer
- treehouseboat likes this
- ordream likes this
- siti-sekhmet reblogged this from whirlwind-dreamer
- whirlwind-dreamer reblogged this from queeruption
- breakthebricks reblogged this from papastalinspizza
- urmonotheismus reblogged this from theatlantic
- thecallgirlofcthulhu likes this
- wonderlandanddolphins reblogged this from stormandmoonlight
- heroicallywelladjusted likes this
- leapbeforeyouthink reblogged this from archangejolras
- bandcandy reblogged this from archangejolras
- mikajacques likes this
- fridayfelts likes this
- lostinhistory likes this
- welcometodelphi reblogged this from jerry520
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- jerry520 reblogged this from archangejolras
- lunacy-wins reblogged this from archangejolras
- tookmyskull reblogged this from fablesandfires
- h0neypots reblogged this from crashingtothesurface and added:
- crashingtothesurface reblogged this from fablesandfires
- crashingtothesurface likes this
- fablesandfires reblogged this from quesokristo
- captain-sham-buscus reblogged this from archangejolras
- forkliftemma reblogged this from nothechosenone
- upahill reblogged this from billiethepoet and added:
- tonystarktrek likes this
- missslytherin reblogged this from owwfeels
- drift-to-the-seas reblogged this from archangejolras
- oddnbubbly likes this
- thesicilian reblogged this from archangejolras and added:
- triskelion-tattoo reblogged this from archangejolras
- queeruption reblogged this from sinidentidades
- triskelion-tattoo likes this
- villainknight reblogged this from archangejolras
- readinglist32 likes this
- novemberpinup reblogged this from archangejolras
- novemberpinup likes this
- lunar-eclipse-wolf likes this
- cannotbedefined reblogged this from archangejolras
- thor3odin reblogged this from archangejolras
- ikaritus likes this
- colorespectrum reblogged this from archangejolras